Seven Passages About The Crown Of Pride And The Crown Of Glory
Seven Passages About The Crown Of Pride And The Crown Of Glory:
1) Isaiah 28:1 Woe to the crown of pride, to the drunkards of Ephraim, whose glorious beauty is a fading flower, which are on the head of the fat valleys of them that are overcome with wine!
2) Isaiah 28:3 The crown of pride, the drunkards of Ephraim, shall be trodden under feet:
Twice in this chapter, we see Ephraim (the northern ten tribes) boasting in drunkenness. This is what they lived for, what they took satisfaction in. Many in our day are running after worldly pleasure, partying, feeding the flesh.
But then a few verses later, we read:
The Lord is what the truly saved glory in, what they boast in - what they seek and lived for. Do you live for the things of the world or for the Lord. Do you take pride in sin and sinful things or glory in the Lord and your spiritual walk, in the Word of God and in the wisdom of the Holy Spirit?
The crown of pride is used twice in the Bible, and a crown of glory is used five times. Between these two phrases, that are presented in the same passage as a contrast, we see these phrases used seven times.
4) Proverbs 4:9 She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.
5) Proverbs 16:31 The hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness.
6) Isaiah 62:3 Thou shalt also be a crown of glory in the hand of the LORD, and a royal diadem in the hand of thy God.
7) 1 Peter 5:4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.
Between the five uses of a crown of glory, we see godly wisdom being referred to, growing old in the way of righteousness, the Lord being our crown and treasure, and the crown of glory that the faithful pastor will receive at the Judgement Seat of Christ.
Are these things that you glory in, that you boast in? Or do you take pride in being a friend of the world, running after the world, the flesh, and the Devil.
At the end of my life, I want to be able to say that I was boasting In The Lord. How about you?
Boasting In The Lord
So many will boast of their status and wealth -
For too many that is all that's worth living;
I'd rather boast in my spiritual health -
I'll rejoice that I am saved and forgiven!
So many will boast in who and what they know -
Their connections are the things they do treasure;
I would rather boast in the Lord Jesus Christ -
His Word is my only sure guide and measure!
So many will boast in the things they have made -
As if this life was the end of the story;
But I would rather boast in the world to come -
Heaven above is in what I will glory.
So many will boast that they have now arrived -
Trusting in themselves - a sad situation!
But I'd rather boast in what Jesus has done -
Singing aloud of His wondrous salvation!
So many will boast of things under the Sun -
Things that will one day be shaken and scattered;
I will boast in my Father's, "My child, well done" -
In eternity, that's all that will matter!
January 9th, 2011
Jerry Bouey
Comments
Post a Comment